What is Chanting?
Chanting is a sound repeated with intention to transmit a certain frequency. By repeating these seed syllables we begin to vibrate from the inside out, becoming quite literally our own tuning fork. This frequency bypasses our human limitations and allows us to see through the illusions of the world with greater clarity.
The Language of Chanting
Each tradition contains its own sacred sounds which act as seeds or keys to unlock the mind. Sanskrit, for example, was not a language meant for communication; rather, it was a transmitter of energy. Guru Prem Singh Khalsa offers that “a mantra is a projection of the mind (Man=mind, Tra=wave/projection) to divinity.”Chanting these ancient sounds that created our universe can then reconnect us with her primordial grace.
Benefits of Chanting
When we chant, we engage in a psycho-spiritual and physical exercise, altering our cells.
Reduces stress, improves cognition, lowers heart rate, helps tune inward to become aware of distress in the physical body before it becomes illness.
Alleviates depression, reduces stress.
Moves us into unity consciousness, shifts us into co-creator mindset with the universe, reprograms the subconscious mind.
While the health benefits are immense and are now being widely researched, the spiritual gifts are where I get giddy. By chanting these nonsense sounds with no attachment to meaning, we are subtly replacing the subconscious fears and self-judgment with tones of love, peace and the sublime.
What is meditation?
Meditation is relaxation. It is not about concentration, it’s actually about de-concentration. It’s not about focussing one’s thoughts on one thing, but instead on becoming thoughtless.
Benefits of meditation
- A calm mind
- Good concentration
- Better clarity
- Improved communication
- Relaxation and rejuvenation of the mind and bodyWith meditation, the physiology undergoes a change and every cell in the body is filled with more prana (energy). This result in joy, peace, enthusiasm as the level of prana in the body increases.
- On a physical level, meditation:
Health benefits of meditation
- Lowers high blood pressure
- Lowers the levels of blood lactate, reducing anxiety attacks
- Decreases any tension-related pain, such as, tension headaches, ulcers, insomnia, muscle and joint problems
- Increases serotonin production that improves mood and behavior
- Improves the immune system
- Increases the energy level, as you gain an inner source of energyMeditation brings the brainwave pattern into an alpha state that promotes healing. The mind becomes fresh, delicate and beautiful. It cleanses and nourishes you from within and calms you, whenever you feel overwhelmed, unstable, or emotionally shut down. With regular practice of meditation:
Mental Benefits of Meditation
- Anxiety decreases
- Emotional stability improves
- Creativity increases
- Happiness increases
- Intuition develops
- Gain clarity and peace of mind
- Problems become smaller
- Meditation sharpens the mind by gaining focus and expands through relaxation
- A sharp mind without expansion causes tension, anger and frustration
- An expanded consciousness without sharpness can lead to lack of action/progress
- The balance of a sharp mind and an expanded consciousness brings perfection
Spiritual benefits of meditation
- Meditation doesn’t have a religion and can be practiced by anybody regardless of the faith they follow.
- Meditation makes you aware – that your inner attitude determines your happiness.
- Effortless transition from being something to merging with the infinite and recognizing yourself as an inseparable part of the whole cosmos
- In a meditative state, you are in a space of vastness, calmness and joy and this is what you emit into the environment, bringing harmony to the Creation/planet.
- Meditation can bring about a true personal transformation. As you learn more about yourself, you’ll naturally start discovering more about yourself and love yourself.
To experience the benefits of meditation, regular practice is necessary. It takes only a few minutes every day. Once imbibed into the daily routine, meditation becomes the best part of your day! Busy people from all backgrounds are grateful to pause and enjoy a refreshing few minutes of meditation each day. Dive deep into yourself and enrich your life.
However all the above remains a text or information if you don’t practice it. So do join me this coming Friday (22/02/2019) at 8pm at my place to have a feel of what meditation and chanting is all about.